The Product Manager is responsible for product planning, delivery and marketing throughout the product lifecycle. The Product Manager should be laser focused on WHY from a user perspective and the value to the user. The Product Manager should be data driven to challenge or validate hypothesis.
The Product Manager is responsible for setting the product’s vision and strategic direction. They need to be able to clearly articulate the business case and the customer value of a given initiative or feature so the team understands why you are building it. Strategic planning involves laying out major areas of investment so you can prioritize what matters most to achieve the product goals.
Defining the Roadmap
The Product Manager will translate product strategy into planned work — defining what to build and when to release it. The Product Manager will develop a vision and roadmap for the product based on input from customers, internal stakeholders, market research and their own industry insight. The roadmap is a visual representation of how the business and customer objectives will be achieved. The Product Manager is responsible for building and maintaining the roadmap at a detailed level for the development team as well as a higher level roadmap for customer and executive communications.
The Product Manager will work closely with Development/Engineering and other teams to deliver products that align with this vision, meet market needs and are delivered to a consistently high-quality standard. The Product Manager will work closely with engineering on the technical specifications and ensure that teams have all the information they need to deliver a complete product to market. The Product Manager will identify the key benefits and value of the solution. This will be used to create and maintain marketing plans and collateral (including web updates, product training materials and sales training).
Evaluating and Prioritizing Features
The Product Manager is responsible for collecting, developing, and curating ideas that will deliver value to users. The Product Manager will determine which ideas and requests should be promoted to the backlog to drive the product strategy forward. The Product Manager will also ensure that feedback and requests are integrated into the product planning and development processes.
The Product Manager will be responsible for prioritizing features against the strategic goals and initiatives of the product strategy. The Product Manager will need to be able to quantify the user value, development effort, time to market, and competitive value amongst other factors to determine what to focus on and what to say no to.
Analyzing and Evaluating
The Product Manager will need to be focused on data and results for the customers and for the business. The Product Manager will track and evaluate the team velocity, product sales, feature adoption, and user satisfaction amongst others.
- Professional Development activities such as seminars and conferences.
- Job shadow or cross functional opportunities.
- Stretch assignments.
- Assignments to train others; Go To person for training in a particular area.
- Role as an internal mentor.
Key Performance Indicators/Role Deliverables
- Define the product strategy and roadmap
- Manage the product throughout its lifecycle from concept to end-of-life
- Collect, manage, and maintain traceability of requirements from all stakeholders across product releases
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements for development
- Write the business case for investments and gain internal approval
- Contribute to the product marketing plan
- Write Product Requirements and Market Requirements documents
- Work with internal stakeholders and third parties to assess and establish partnerships
- Be the recognized expert in the business on the product, the market, relevant technology and the competition.
- Develop core positioning and messaging for the product
- Perform product demos to customers and develop relationships in key customers
- Lead the virtual product team to ensure delivery of agreed objectives
- Set pricing
- Monitor, report and improve product performance
- Run trials and MVPs, develop and deliver go to market launch plans
- Perform market and competitor research
- Promote the product to sales teams through sales training sessions, webinars, newsletters, and other mechanisms
- Develop and deliver training to technical sales support
- Collate feedback from sales and customers
- Represent the voice of the customer in senior level management meetings
- Evangelize the product internally and externally
- Be recognized as a leader in the business and build relations with business stakeholders
Role Related Competencies
The Product Manager must be curious and empathetic. The ability to deeply understand the user’s workflow and evaluate value to the user and the customer are key requirements.
Collaboration and the ability to effectively work within a matrixed environment are critical for the Product Manager. The Product Manager will need to be able to motivate and provide direction to a wide spectrum of development, sales, marketing, and support resources that do not directly report to the Product Manager.
Excellent verbal and written skills, including the ability to create and deliver compelling client presentations are a must as well. Experience with Aha! is a benefit.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years of work experience within a software development organization
- Proven experience overseeing all elements of the product development lifecycle
- Strong oral and written communication in English
- Preferred strong oral and written communication in French
- Passport or ability to obtain same
- Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills
This position is preferably located in Versaterm’s Komutel St. Georges office, however remote work from home candidates will be evaluated.
- Bright, climate-controlled, office space
- Team based work environment
- Frequent travel to visit client sites or attend conventions